Intro To Basic Skin Care
Beautiful skin rarely happens overnight.
For many of us, putting together a flawless daily skin care routine is the result of endless trial and error to determine which products work best with our unique skin type. From there, we can begin to build on the basics (more on that in just a second) and discover which products pair well with others to enhance their benefits and promote healthy radiant looking skin.
The first step, of course, is knowing which type best describes your skin so you can choose the products and skin care ingredients that work best for your complexion.
Below is a quick refresher about the five most common skin types.
- Normal skin: This type of skin tends to have a balanced T-zone (the area of the face shaped like a “T” that includes the forehead, nose, and chin), meaning it is generally clear of breakouts or dryness.
- Oily skin: Oily skin is characterized by excess oil production, primarily in the T-zone. Skin may look shiny or feel greasy to the touch, and it may be more prone to blemishes and breakouts.
- Dry skin: The opposite of oily skin, people with dry skin produce less oil than normal. Skin may be flaky or itchy, with a dull overall complexion, and fine lines and wrinkles will be more visible.
- Combination skin: People with combination skin have dryness in some areas (typically around the cheeks) and oiliness in others (generally in the T-zone area). Combination skin may become both dehydrated and irritated.
- Sensitive skin: Signs of sensitive skin may vary, from redness and burning to breakouts, itching, and inflammation. Because certain products and ingredients can help while others may exacerbate the problem, this skin type often requires a bit more care and diligence when it comes to choosing the right products to use.
Start with the three basics and build from there.
There are three basic products you should be using every day to take care of your skin. The first, of course, is a daily cleanser to wash away dirt, makeup, impurities, and dead skin cells.
Second, the right serum can go a long way toward protecting and preserving the appearance of beautiful-looking skin.
Third, your skin benefits from a daily moisturizer for hydration and regeneration.
Dynamic duos (plus one trio): Products that work well together.
Pairing products for your skin type is a great way to get the most benefit from your daily skin care routine—the idea being that one product will help to amplify the effects of the other. The following are some examples of products that pair well with your trio of everyday basics.
Exfoliant + Daytime Moisturizer
Exfoliating scrubs are used to buff away dead skin cells and remove impurities. When you do that, your daily moisturizer is able to penetrate the skin more deeply, which helps it stay hydrated longer throughout the day. For normal to dry or combination skin.
Daytime Moisturizer + Primer
For those who wear makeup on a daily basis, oily skin may be a problem (since makeup tends to clog pores and prevent skin from breathing). After applying moisturizer, a lightweight primer can help keep skin hydrated and control oil throughout the day.
Cleanser + Hyaluronic Acid Serum
After cleansing, hyaluronic acid serum can help replenish and lock in moisture for all-day hydration that visibly reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Detoxifying Mask + Nighttime Moisturizer
A simple nightly routine that does wonders for your skin is starting with a detoxifying mask to cleanse and nourish stressed and polluted skin. After that, applying a detoxifying nighttime moisturizer can help to soothe and nourish skin while you sleep and improve the appearance of elasticity and firmness.
Wrinkle Recovery Serum + Collagen Supplement
As we age, our skin goes through changes that can alter its appearance. Adding a wrinkle recovery serum plus a powerful collagen supplement can help reduce signs of aging and promote overall beauty.
Cleanser + Eye Gel + Sleep Supplement
We went with a trio here, but that just means triple the benefits for your skin (and it works for all skin types). At night, after cleansing your skin to remove makeup, dirt, and other impurities, apply a dab of herbal eye gel under and around the eye area to help reduce the appearance of puffy, tired eyes and dark circles. Follow up with a sleep support supplement to wake up appearing well rested and fresh.